October 2021: 101st Anniversary and 2020 Hall of Honor
The Baranowski Family: Mark Baranowski, Class of 1967 GUS; Claudia, Class of 1975; and Fred Baranowski, Class of 1970 GUS. A Two GUS Family Visit, June 2021
Friends from the Class of 1968 at the Museum May 14, 2021 Holding Their Senior Class Photo Jeri Frame Sipe, Kathy Janecek Deering, Janet Laughlin Bakel, Sue Cromer Sampson, Carolyn Dowe Johnson
We invite you to join us in October for Grossmont High School’s 101st Anniversary Celebration. The cornerstone of the celebration is the recognition of our 2020 Hall of Honor on Saturday, October 16th.
These 12 remarkable people join the 39 members of the GHS Hall of Honor. The Hall of Honor recognizes notable alumni and dedicated faculty/staff/community members. All of these honorees have distinguished themselves by excelling in their fields and/or through their years of dedication to Grossmont.
2020 GHS Hall of Honor
4 GHS Educators
1. Ethel Prosser, GHS Pioneer Educator 1920-1952
2. Carl Quicksall, GHS Pioneer Educator 1920-1944
3. Eva McCarthy Quicksall, GHS Pioneer Educator, 1921-1962
4. Gloria Jones, Legendary History Teacher 1962-2000 and ASB Advisor 1967-2000
8 GHS Alumni
5. Gene Chubb, Class of 1948, GHS Campus Benefactor
6. John Lawrence Colonghi, Class of 1965, Financial and Public Affairs Consultant to American Indian Tribes and Chief Fundraiser for the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI)
7. Scott Lippman, M.D., Class of 1973: Director of Moores Cancer Center at UC San Diego Health, Professor of Medicine, Senior Associate Dean and Associate Vice Chancellor for Cancer Research and Care, Chugai Pharmaceutical Chair in Cancer
8. James P. Zumwalt, Class of 1974, Member of the State Department beginning in 1981; Ambassador to the Republic of Senegal and the Republic of Guinea Bissau from 2015-2017
9. Lora Cicalo, Class of 1979: Journalist; Managing Editor of The San Diego Union Tribune
10. Darcy Arreola Lange, Class of 1986, NCAA Four Time Track and Cross Country Champion
11. Paul Wright, Class of 1987, MLS Player and Legendary San Diego Soccers Indoor Soccer Player
12. Kristin Danielson Rhodes, Class of 1993, 8-Time winner of the America’s Strongest Woman Title and a 3-Time Strongest Woman World Champion.
101st Anniversary Tentative Schedule
Friday, October 15, 2021
4-6:30 GHS Museum Open
5:00 New GHS Museum Dedication
6:55 Honorary Coin Toss by Hall of Honor Athletes on the Field
Halftime: 2020 and Previous Hall of Honor Inductees
Recognized from the Science Porch before the Marching Band’s performance
Saturday, October 16, 2021
10:00 2020 Hall of Honor Ceremony in Theater
11:30 History of GHS Presentation in Theater
9:30-1:00 East County Historical Society Displays outside the Theater
11-2:00 GHS Museum Open
10-2: Car “Show” on Upper Quad
11-1 Food Trucks
11:30-1:00 Cheer and Performing Arts Performances
on the Upper Quad Blue Stage
12 and 12:30 Campus Tours (Meet at the Museum)
Since the GHS Museum reopened in May 2021, we have welcomed hundreds of Foothillers, past and present, to enjoy a “trip down memory lane”. Listening to alumni share their experiences and watching the students’ amazement at the history of their school reinforces what we have known since 1956, when our father began teaching at Grossmont. Foothillers’ love and pride in their school are remarkable.
Come and join us as we celebrate that heritage!
For the most current information about our 101st Anniversary Celebration, visit our website at foothillermuseum.com or contact us at