October 2018: Two Special Alumni
Since 1921 with the graduation of its first senior class, GHS Alumni have returned to their school to show their gratitude. Today, we have two generous alumni leaving their footprints on Grossmont’s physical campus: Gene Chubb, Class of 1948, and Bill Woolman, Class of 1962.
In 2012 Bill funded the creation of a two-sided gray columned monument in front of the 2013 Humanities Building on the east side of campus. Bill’s vision was for a sign that celebrated Grossmont HS. The sign’s front side proudly proclaims, “Grossmont High School, Established 1920”; the back side affirms “Foothillers Forever.” The style of the monument echoes the original gray “Castle” seen across the lower and uppers quads. For 5 years, it has been a favored spot for photographs on campus.
Big G on the Hill
Bill and Gene’s first project together was the restoration of the Big G on the Hill below the original school, which has been in that location since the 1940’s when it was first made of blue and gold blooming shrubs planted by the Hi-Y Club, of which, not surprisingly, Gene was a member.Then, in 1993, thanks to Gene’s generosity as co-owner of RCP Brick and Block, the Big G we now see on the hill in front of the original granite “Castle” was created from 770 gold painted bricks and gravel by crews of parents and band members over nine Saturdays.
In 2016, the Big G on the Hill was again showing its age and was renovated this time due to the generosity of both Gene and Bill. With Gene donating the materials and Bill funding the installation, the G was repaired and painted, the frame of the G redone in stone to match the 1922 granite of the original school, and the gravel replenished! The Big G on the Hill is now a beautiful symbol of the original granite school visible above it.
Class of 1989 Sign
Located at the front of the school near the senior lawn is a sign donated 30 years ago by a senior class. In 2016, it was also showing its age with its red brick pillars and the illegibility of the face of the sign. Again, Gene “came to the rescue” by donating the concrete block and materials as well as the mason’s labor to renovate the pillars and the face of the sign. The historic face of the sign, lettering, and mascot GUS image were also replaced thanks to a generous donation to the GHS Educational Foundation from the Gerald Fackler Charitable Remainder Trust.
Most students and staff on campus tolerated the muddy shoes and footprints caused by a pathway adjacent to the Math Building that flooded during irrigation or rain. However, in 2017 looking for another project, Bill and Gene again “joined forces” to create a pathway out of gray pavers and gravel, with Gene donating the materials and Bill funding the labor for a landscaper to create the pathway, much to the delight of the teachers and students in the Math Building.
The most recent project of these two wonderful Foothillers is the beautiful and striking front monument, which is adjacent to the school’s 2016 two story office. As usual, Gene donated the materials and the labor of the mason while Bill funded the letters, the two bronze plaques, and their installation. The sign beautifully complements the school office in style, but echoes the historic nature of the rear monument, with the substitution of a favorite Foothiller student proclamation, “It’s Great to Be Young and a Foothiller.”
As Principal Dan Barnes, told Gene and Bill, “These kinds of projects help keep our community proud of our school, staff, and students. These kinds of things would never get done if it weren't for your efforts and care of Grossmont High School.”
The generosity of Gene Chubb and Bill Woolman is never-ending. Not surprisingly, once the front monument was completed, Gene asked, “What’s our next project?” But Bill and Gene have already discussed it!